Monday, June 18, 2012


Cedar Springs Senior High

We had heard how awesome this camp was going to be.  We waited in anticipation for Tuesday morning when we would start our first Epic Game.  We played Pull Apart. For those of you who don’t know what that’s all about… one group of people holds on as tight as they can to each other and another group tries to pull them apart.  We all have bruises from that.  The next day was a cross between dodgeball and Ultimate Frisbee.  Talk about intense.  Thursday was Beast Ball: two teams fighting to get the balls into their trash cans, while in a mud pit, which meant tackling and pushing and throwing mud… anything to win!  I looked like I was wearing a shirt made of mud.  Friday’s game was trying to push the other team’s ball off of a soapy tarp.  We weren’t muddy this time… just really wet and soapy, and still a little scratched up.

During the afternoons, we would ride tubes down the river, play Ultimate Frisbee, and play cards.  It was a ton of fun hanging out with the teens.
Then, in the evening, we would have more crazy activities.  Bowling… Capture the Flag… Dancing… Commando.  What is Commando?  Well, the fun of Commando is that the counselors get to make the campers do anything as they search for a truck in the woods.   Like eat grass, buy us candy, spit in each other’s mouths, baptize each other in the river, eat an Oreo out of a shoe, and lick the armpits of everyone else in the group.  But I’ll spare you the worst of the details. 

On a more serious note, God was transforming lives.  The theme for the week was Transparent.  Every morning and every night, we were encouraged to be transparent with each other.  Campers had the opportunity to share what they struggled with, sin they couldn’t let go of, and dreams they have that are hindered.  All four of us had some amazing conversations and had some campers open up. 

One thing I learned was how little I have to do for God to work.  It’s not me at all that changes these kids’ lives.  My twelve girls were from three different youth groups, so being transparent with the whole group was difficult.  On confession night, I felt like God wanted me to split up the group into their youth groups.  It ended up being more amazing than I could have hoped.  I didn’t get to hear everything they shared.  But they shared.  They were transparent.  They got to know each other better.  They supported each other.  Prayed for each other.  I was blown away.  I walked back to my cabin afterwards, alone, looking up at the stars, praising God for how He works in ways so much greater than me. 

Continue to pray for us that God would renew our energy for another week of camp.  We stay in Cedar Springs for a week of Junior High camp.  We are excited to see God work in other amazing ways.  

Check out some of the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment